The lacy cobweb scarf is done! It was chugging along nicely but then disaster hit. Despite being 99% sure that I bought three balls of the Kid Silk Haze, I obviously hadn’t as I ran out with one short side of trim to go.
Admittedly I bought this yarn about four years ago. Admittedly I had frogged it from a less than successful snood (and if anyone has ever frogged mohair then they can understand why I chucked most of the cast on edge in the bin rather than face hours of horror). Admittedly I should have weighed it before starting.
For anyone that is interested, it takes almost exactly 90 minutes to unthread a row from the bottom up (no exaggeration folks and it did involve quite a lot of swearing). Strike one was when I started (a bit sensibly) by nipping out the bottom 4 inches – snipping a strand and unthreading it before frogging the start. I then had to repeat this fiddly unthreading two more times to try to re-cover more yarn. Each time I got heartbreakingly close to the end…but no joy.
After three goes round this I declared that the party was definitely OVER and elected to sub in yarn to cover the last two triangles. It was either that or snip it into a thousand pieces, jump up and down on the bits and then torch them in a brazing hearth (I can do that, my workshop classroom is well equipped).
So I washed it, blocked it and it grew an impressive 20cm through careful and targeting stretching. Job done.
Do note the dodgy colour change in the last corner. So it is not perfect, but it is finished and it does look glam. For the moment it is in the naughty corner because I cannot face looking at it (let alone staring at the dodgy corner).