Drum roll please, I have now finished my purple cardigan!
It is made from Rowan Calmer (cotton and microfiber) and adapted from my first ever self-designed cardigan. It has now successfully emerged from the washing machine without any dodgy shrinking/growing. I can now breathe a sigh of relief and let the glory wash over me.
You might remember the mis-adventure of the bust darts (which looked fine on, but all kinds of freaky when the front was opened). I will admit that it did result in the project being left in the naughty corner to Think About What It Had Done. But I am ever the optimist, so I bit the bullet and frogged back a good 3 inches of side and back and ploughed on.
And here it is (the other arm is there, but fell out of shot). The shaping went well and is rather flattering when on and I do like the way that the trim gives it a slightly jackety look. The sleeves work well – the trim makes them easy to flip over (as I am always needing to roll sleeves back at work), without altering the look of the arms.
I especially love the large heart buttons (which I think came free with a magazine about 5 years ago) and the way that the mother of pearl grey works with the lilac purple. This is actually the first time I have done a proper button band (as opposed to zips or buttons over pop studs) and I was annoyed with the way that the weight of the button made the button holes sag.
Thankfully, the hive mind of my stitch group came up with a plan of sewing a strip of ribbon to re-enforce and stabilise the edge. Happily I found some organza ribbon (pale pink and slightly sparkly) which doesn’t look too odd when the cardigan flaps open.
Even better, I have been left with four balls left over and, as I have another bag of green, I should have enough from the two yarn bags to make three cardigans. Nothing like a free jumper’s worth of yarn to make the day more shiny!