She came, she knitted, she swore and frogged, she swore some more and then she knitted on until her eyes danced.
Ladies and gentlemen, for your viewing pleasure, I give you the now finished Fire Dancer Socks!
Some of you may have followed the saga of these socks (which were cast on shortly after we joined the blogsphere).
First came the brown stripe of doom. A completely random dark stripe, occurring in the middle of the colour-way. This didn’t come as a massive surprise (as I could see it coming on the ball), but instead of the gentle fade from orange to brown that I hoped for it was a sharp, jarring and very solid jump from red/orange/egg yellow to brown. I managed to recover my wits enough to reposition the next stripe so it came on the heel flap and then the toes, but the one in the middle of the leg just wouldn’t fade from my view.
So I did what any (in)sane person would do. I re-knit the top, cut the sock in half, and then tried to graft the new to the old.
Something like four damn hours of failing to get an (in pattern) invisible join later, I gave into my fate and frogged the bad and picked up and knitted from the new. As I am sure you can appreciate, my knitting spirit (a fickle beast at best) was drawn from these (now tainted with failure) socks to other projects.
But I still wanted these socks! And I have been pecking at them on and off slowly getting each row done. I really like the pattern (taken from “favourite socks” by Interweave, the pattern is Ann Budd’s “mock wave cable socks”) which despite it’s name, doesn’t have any cables in. The pattern is quite logical and I found myself pattern free after the first few repeats.
Obviously the whole thing is now astoundingly perfect now the brown stripe is gone! I really can’t count the number of times I had to remind myself that I plan to wear them for longer than it took to re-knit them. Here’s hoping that they will survive their first trip through the washing machine!